The Invention Studio is a student-led club at the Nueva Upper School where teams design and build products for positive social impact to create a more equitable, healthy, and compassionate world. The club has two main goals:
- To use human-centered design and engineering to make a real, positive impact on our communities from a diverse range of users with unique challenges.
- To empower young student inventors of all backgrounds by giving them the confidence and skills needed to change the world.
- To equip students with professionally-applicable skills.
Every year, the Invention Studio creates new teams to begin research on a new invention. As teams move forward in product development, they are provided support through design workshops, building session, business plan workshops, and grant recommendations. A Design Review is held halfway through the school-year for teams to pitch their products and inventions to a panel of professional engineers, programmers, and designers for feedback on their technology.
The Invention Studio is hosting its annual Demo Day at the Nueva School on Thursday, May 30, 2019. Come hear from our five brand-new teams, who design products for issues ranging from Parkinson’s disease to mental illness, as well as our second-year teams, who have made great progress in manufacturing, patenting, and community outreach.
Learn more about some of the founding teams and inventions that were created by the Invention Studio.
Founded June 2017
Unwind is a snug handheld device designed to reduce stress with a comforting pulse and calm light. Made of soft silicone, Unwind has four key electronic components:
- Induction coil
- LED light
- Vibration motor
- Pressure sensor
- Winner 2018 Invention Studio Demo Day
- Winner at Jacobson Institute's Fall 2018 Innovator Competition
Founded June 2017
Stria Labs is dedicated to changing the world of the blind and visually-impaired. The team has worked extensively with several blind individuals to develop the Stria Band, a low-profile, smart-waistband designed to prevent users from veering into danger.
- Winner SXSW EDU's 2019 Student Startup Competition
- Second Place at 2018 Paradigm Challenge
This year, the Invention Studio started five brand-new teams creating inventions to address issues including:
- Parkinson's Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Mental Illness
- Drowsy Driving
- English Language Learning